Canton Lions Club
|District 23B||Update or Add
The Canton Lions Club is joining other clubs in CT to push for increased membership. Thank you to the new men and women of the Canton Lions Club. Come to one of our meetings and find out why our membership is growing!!
The Canton Lions Club was chartered on November 23, 1951. We were sponsored by the Unionville Lions Club who gave us our club bell which calls us to order at meetings and reminds us of our commitment to service.
Our club bought generators for the Fire Department during the 1955 flood. We helped build the first town swimming pool. In 1957 we built the gazebo located on the Canton Green which has been the site of our summer band concerts for over 40 years. We have sponsored a free children's fishing derby every year since the 1950's. In past years we built a warming shelter for skaters, a soccer kickboard, and a children's playscape at Mills Pond.
Over the past 50 plus years we have helped with numerous community projects, sponsored youth athletic teams and leagues, provided assistance to town organizations and citizens, donated funds to school and civic groups, and provided financial assistance to those in need.
The Canton Lions Club has grown from a small group of dedicated town residents to an active and caring club with over 35 members. We live by the simple motto: "WE SERVE".
In November of 1999, the Canton Lions Club proudly approved membership for its first woman member. We now have several women members, and we welcome other women who share the goals of LIONISM to apply for membership.
2008 began the kick-off of the formation of a LEO club at the Canton High School. The students have shown great interest, and we hope that they will join us in service to our town.
In 2014, the 501c3, CantonCT Lions Charities, Inc., was formed to provide for tax deductible contributions to our fundraising efforts.